Many anti-dandruff shampoos and pharmaceuticals do more harm than good, because of their aggressive action on your scalp. Ironically, one of the biggest complaint of anti-dandruff shampoos users is that they get more dandruff! Fortunately, nature provides us with plant-based essential oils that can help reduce dandruff naturally, and without nasty side effects. I have successfully used essential oils to make homemade remedies for dandruff for nearly a decade, and I am about to share with you the names of the essential oils that I have used to solve ad prevent this problem, and my 5 favorite anti dandruff essential oils recipes.
Which are the best essential oils for dandruff?
To truly reduce and prevent dandruff with essential oils, you will have to choose essential oils that are suitable for your hair type and to target the specific cause of the problem.
- If you have an over-dried, itchy scalp, you can choose the essential oils of tea tree, basil, grapefruit, rosemary, lavender or geranium.
- For oily skin and scalp, I recommend to use the essential oils such as mint, lemon, and tea tree oil.
- If the cause of dandruff is excessive fat content on your hair and scalp, then you can use eucalyptus, cloves, cypress, bergamot, sage or coniferous tree oils, such as, for example, cedar or pine.
Remember that essential oils must be mixed with carrier oils. For the best home-made dandruff treatment you can use one of the following carrier oils: castor, burdock, olive, almond, coconut, peach, apricot, avocado, grape seed oil, sea buckthorn, flaxseed, jojoba, shea/karite, or macadamia oil.
Anti-dandruff Essential Oils Recipes: Homemade Remedies for Dandruff
Masks with essential oils are applied only to clean, dry hair, when applying the composition, it is mandatory to do a scalp massage. If you have any bald spots, you need to carefully massage them.
The duration of the massage is at least 2 minutes. Before mixing, it is better to warm up the carrier oil. The procedures with essential oils should be carried out 2-3 times a week for best results.
My 5 Favorite Homemade Remedies For Dandruff Using Essential Oil Blends
#1. Nutritional blend
1. 3 tbsp of carrier oil
2. 3 drops of cedar essential oil
3. 3 drops of rosemary essential oil
4. 1 tbsp of honey
5. An egg yolk
Mix the essential oils with honey, then add the remaining ingredients. Apply it evenly to your hair, massage the scalp and cover your head with plastic and a towel. Wash your hair with a shampoo after 2 hours.
#2. Lavender blend
1. 3 tbsp of olive oil
2. 10 drops of lavender essential oil
Mix the oils and apply the mask to the hair and scalp, wrap it with plastic and a towel, and rinse after half an hour.
#3. “Warming up” blend
1. 2 tbsp of castor oil
2. 3 drops of cinnamon essential oil
3. 1 tbsp of honey
Stir the mixture and apply on hair, massaging the scalp well. Then wrap the head with plastic and a towel, and leave the mask for two hours. Wash your hair with shampoo.
#4. Ultra nutritional blend
1. 1 tbsp of jojoba oil
2. 4 tbsp of macadamia oil
3. 2 tbsp of black cumin oil
4. 10 drops of bay oil
Rub the mixture into the scalp, massage it for 10-15 minutes and leave for an hour. After that you need to wash your hair as usual.
#5. Pine blend
If hair loss has already reached the stage of alopecia, then you can try to restore hair growth with pine oil. It gives strength, elasticity and healthy shine to your hair, and it can be used not only as mask, but also in a shampoo for every head wash (a couple drops per serving).
1. 3 tbsp of carrier oil
2. 10 drops of pine essential oil
Mix the oils and apply the mask to the hair and scalp, wrap it with plastic and a towel, and rinse after 2 hours.
I hope you enjoyed reading this article, and above all, that you’ll give my essential oils homemade dandruff remedies a try. Feel free to contact me for any questions, feedback or to share your results using my blends!
- How Essential Oils Can Deter Pests - June 22, 2020
- Essential Oils for Ear Infections in Toddlers - February 21, 2020
- Essential Oils For Cavity Pain: Relief Without Side Effects - June 13, 2019